1992 was a good year for me. My advertising agency in California was going well. I was thinking about buying my first home and Ubee came into my life.

The day we met was one of those days when you don’t have a minute to spare, your schedule is so tight that you just pray you make it from one appointment to the next without being late or delayed.

I had started the morning off early, 6:30 a.m., and was scheduled to edit some TV spots at the local television station. This particular station was a beautiful facility. They even had a patio right in the middle of the building. That way people coming and going could always see sunshine.

Needing coffee badly I went into the lunchroom to fetch some. There staring in the door was the cutest black puppy. I admired her as I always do whenever I encounter a dog (young, old, middle – doesn’t matter). One of the cameramen told me that he had found her out in the country, far from any houses, while he was shooting some scenery for a news story. I just could not believe this poor puppy had been dumped to fend for herself. She wasn’t very old for sure. Another guy came into the room and said I needed to take her because their “mean” general manager would immediately call animal control when he got in at 9 a.m. I couldn’t let that happen. So, I proceeded to finish my edit, pup in tow, and we hit the road to continue on my ‘booked’ day.

Thank goodness my Vet was right on the way (convenient) to my next appointment. I stopped in and dropped her off, asked them to check her out, and told them I would be back for her at 7 p.m.

Well, she was a happy, healthy 12 week, 27 pound, Chow-, Shepard-, Rottweiler-mix pup. I immediately called her Bailey. I always liked that name (must have had something to do with a high school crush). Anyway, we went home and she became part of the family, quickly destroying everything in sight. She was what my friend, Jo Buman, called ‘a wild child’. She had a true love of life and loved everyone she encountered.

How did her name become Ubee? Simple – You be sweet, you be nice, you be good. Thus, Ubee.

Early on it was evident that Ubee had hip problems. With advice from the vet I kept her running and playing all the time to strengthen her hip muscles. Oh, the fun we had – And then Jingles came to live with us and the fun continued. You could literally spend hours watching them play.

Ours was a unique friendship that lasted until Ubee took her last earthly breath. I know if Jingles could talk, he would agree that she indeed enriched our lives in so many ways. We look forward to being with her again one day.